Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ben Gay Summer Pain Relief Non-greasy Cream

I came home from work and immediately fell into bed.
I threw myself onto the sheets and blankets. Too dirty for the bed. Get out.

In the car, I was daydreaming of how this moment might work.
A little obsessed,
my knees jerked around,
left knee hitting the driver side door impatiently.
Would I strip the bed, put on clean sheets, then shower and get in?
Would I just sleep dirty?
Would I sleep dirty in dirty sheets?

And why do people in gold Camry slow down for the yellows?
And why do ford mini-vans drive thirty-five when the speed limit is fifty?
Don't they know I am going to pass out if I can't get some wind blowing in these windows?

What actually happened, I showered, and got in the bed wet.
I fell asleep immediately and for an hour.


I woke up and ate a sandwich.
I went to buy cigarettes and it was so nice out and I was wearing my favorite Puma shirt, so I stayed out and drove toward the sunset.
I landed at my friends house.
I announced myself, "There is a girl on you porch!"

No one came to the door, but the house was open.
I sat and watched the lightening bugs.
His son came to the door finally because they were out in the back yard.
We went to the park. I went in the front door and out the back door.
We figured out how to spell, "biodegradable" for the doggie bag dispenser at the neighborhood co-op.
We talked philosophy and played with consonance and also synonyms, and swung on the swings.
We 'wondered' if good old Dad was going to put a dictionary in a zip lock baggie for the neighbors to use just in case they didn't know the meaning of a certain word.
And perhaps, there would be a thesaurus needed as well, hanging by a string.

The end of the evening smells like Ben Gay.
I applied it to my sore shoulder and back, a top a sun burn.
"pain relief non-greasy cream" actually causes pain at first.
I listen to the rolling stones because I am old.

No comments: