Monday, August 2, 2010

How many free concerts can you go to?

Blue grass? Really?
I enjoyed it. And I had to look it up.
Why it's called blue grass.
It's something about Kentucky and that's fine with me.

Lincoln logs.

It's because some of the grass is blue there.

The most interesting thing about Kentucky is that you can dig around in the dirt
and find quartz crystals almost anywhere.
I'd fill my house with them if I lived there.

I once knew a guy from Kentucky who said he wanted to breed the biggest cats he could.
A big cat breeder.
It was the coolest thing about him.

The most valuable thing about the people I meet is what I learn from them.
Everyone is a teacher.
I learned about Appalachia.

One person taught me about guitars.
I learned what a riff was and I still appreciate it.
I still appreciate yogurt soda.
I learned how to like dogs.
I learned how not be grumpy by staying hydrated.
I learned that writing takes discipline.
I learned that sometimes it takes over a year to get a power job, and you have to keep applying, even if it takes one year to fill out the application.
I learned that places have spirits,
like the hostile contempt of my region is just the local flavor.
I learned that supporting someone is as good as being supported,
It serves the same purpose.

I keep learning to live better.
I keep learning to not be mean.
I keep learning that I need to explain myself sometimes.
And I learned that not having to explain myself is priceless.

No comments: